Friday, July 2, 2021

LITTLE MISS ATLAS by Janet Lambert

 


Tippy is back!

I've enjoyed the Jordans, but I am glad to be back with the Parrishes. When we last saw Tip, she was getting on a transport to Germany and she wasn't pleased about it. She and Mrs. Parrish are ready to make the best of an awful room situation when they are granted a reprieve in the form of a stateroom not being used by a big muckety-muck. Tippy meets some other kids and has a fine time. A certain Ken Prescott is an officer on the ship and once again he seems to come around when she is acting goofy, but he likes her anyway.

The Parrishes are known for making the best of any situation, but Tippy is worried about "the dragon" which is the way she describes her unease about this posting. Sadly, no actual dragons appear in this book. 

It basically boils down to Tippy accepting her fate and learning to love the Marshall Plan and Ken Prescott and me learning that I need to write my reviews while the book is still fresh in my mind. I didn't take notes this time around and it shows!

The things that stuck out to me are how Lambert often puts a glamorous foil in her stories. This one is snobby but barely there. The patriotism level is HIGH! I could have sworn that there was allusion to the Holocaust, but it was brief at best. The big reveal here is Ken and DAMN his is hot. The age difference is icky, but he alludes to it when he colludes with Tippy's father to send her home. So many instances of men choosing what is best for our heroines in these books. However this time Tippy makes up her own mind.

Alcie Jordan makes an appearance and it is lovely to see her again, I am sure Bobby would agree with me. He is smitten. There is skiing (terribly in Tippy's case) and a new puppy. Maybe some skating... If you want a really good review of this one try Carly's Malt Shop. I have lost the narrative thread, which is too bad because I really loved this one! Alas...

No comments:

Post a Comment