You know I hate to give anything less than 5 stars to a book that I have finished, but this one is only getting 4 and it's probably my fault. It is a fascinating story of a woman who works for a group that researches people and items the were involved in the Holocaust. I liked the research aspects, but I never warmed to Irene, the main character. She has let her work take over her life and it shows.
I like the idea of lost items and the talismanic nature of her work, but she never felt like a person I would want to spend time with. I would like to sit next to her on a plane for 3 hours and ask her about her job, but I don't want her calling me in the evening to ask if I think her son misses her.
The writing is good, and maybe I just read it after too long a glut of feel-good books, but it didn't grab me and that is really all I ask of a book. I finished it because I wanted to know what happened. The plot seemed to speed up at the end and I appreciated it, but there were too many strands for me to keep track of. I may just be too dumb for this book. It has happened before.

No comments:
Post a Comment