Monday, January 11, 2021

DADDY LONG LEGS letters, part 1

Here is more of the group read of DADDY LONG LEGS

October 10 -  Judy becomes accustomed to college

  • Did you even know Maurice Materlink?
  • Jerusha and Julia are born enemies?
  • My recaps are briefer than hers!

Wednesday - Unusual amounts of originality, except when Mrs. Lippett names orphans.

  • A name change! A new life!
  • She's killing me with those gloves...
  • 97 orphans into 97 twins.
October 25th. - Please excuse her exhuberance.
  • Cliffhanger over - Judy made the team.
November 15th.  - Education is fine, but it's no six new dresses.
  • Thank heavens for Pritchett's good taste!
  • Don't even with the poor box. 
December 19th - Judy creates her own imaginary DLL and vows to read.
  • Please define yourself, Daddy Long Legs.
  • Give me something to work with!
  • Vacation: three blessed weeks to read.

Towards the end of the Christmas vacation. Exact date unknown. - Well that says it all. 

  • Julia Pendelton wears silk stockings annoyingly. 
  • Judy's composite family breaks my heart. 
  • Broiled lobster, molasses candy, with love .

************************************************************************************

Questions

When were you embarrassed that you didn't know something? I'll never forget when my mother pronounced epitome as eppy-Tome in front of my dad and he nearly drove off the road laughing. What are your Port Chere words?

Dare I ask how you decorated your dorm room?

I just did a little talk for my church about "otherness" and Judy's sense of intensity about not being labeled is still such a strong motivator, particularly among the young. One of the things I love about being over 50 is that I have fully embraced my inner weirdness - at what age did you do that?

What was your best reading vacation memory? For me it was binge-reading Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS in line at Disney World about 10 years ago and getting the non from a bunch of disaffected teens on vacation with their families. Or reading THE GREAT GATSBY for the very first time at a bus stop in Brussles as bus after bus drove by and I stayed until I was finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment